Primary (1st-2nd Grades)
In the primary grades, we empower children to have a positive perspective on learning as they continue to grow in all academic areas. In small groups and through differentiated instruction, students develop foundational skills and a love of reading and creative writing.
Students use Everyday Math, a curriculum developed by the University of Chicago, to learn math concepts. Students apply math skills to solve real life mathematical problems and to explain their thinking through discussion and written explanation. Reading and math support is available to all primary students.
Primary Grade Highlights
- Curriculum includes: Lucy Calkins writing, Everyday Math, language arts, science, social studies and religion.
- Weekly specials classes include: gym, art, STEM, music, and foreign language.
- Attend Mass weekly with their upper-grade prayer buddies.
First Grade Highlights:
- Students hatch chicks in the classroom using incubators as part of their study of life cycles.
- In concert with their spring field trip to the Shedd Aquarium, students work in groups to research marine animals and write a book about their findings.
Second Grade Highlights:
- Students celebrate First Reconciliation and First Holy Communion.